Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Coke's Chinese Greenwash

Hurdler twists bottles for environment
April 28, 2010
China Daily - Hong Kong Edition

Star hurdler Liu Xiang's popularity and influence among sports fans earned him another special role on Monday in Shenzhen as he joined in an environment protection campaign as an ambassador.

The "I Twist for Green" campaign was launched by Coca-Cola's drinking water brand, ICE Dew, which features eco-friendly, lightweight bottles for consumers.

The bottles are specially designed so they can be easily twisted and compressed after consumption, thereby saving more than 70 percent of the space needed while the bottle makes its way to recycling.

"It's very interesting. The bottle shows us environmental protection can be really simple and fun," said Liu. "I have to drink a lot during training and the bottle gives me the chance to do something for environmental protection. Everyone should be part of it."

Liu revealed some good habits in daily life.

"I ride my bicycle from home to my training base. I have also told my family and friends to drive less. Besides, I also try to save water every day."

The Ice Dew lightweight bottle will be launched in Shenzhen, Xi'an, Xiamen, Nanjing, Hangzhou and other cities in May and then throughout the country.

The launch also comes in time for the Shanghai Expo and, with Coca-Cola as a sponsor and beverage partner, the lightweight bottle will be available to the expected 70 million visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment